PhD / FAQ
- How can I enter one of the SEMM PhD programs?
To be admitted to one of the PhD programs the only way is to take part in the selections.
- What academic title is required for the application to the PhD?
The required academic title is a second level degree: master or equivalent.
- I have already a PhD. May I apply as well?
Yes, you can apply to our PhD programs.
- What degree should I hold to apply to the PhD programs?
To apply to one of the PhD programs, you should hold a scientific academic degree (Master or equivalent). The considered scientific degrees for each program are listed in the "General Info" page of the relevant program.
- Are Non-European candidates eligible to apply to the PhD programs?
Candidates of any nationality are eligible to apply to the SEMM PhD programs.
- I graduated in a country other than Italy. What kind of documents do I need to present?
At the time of the enrollment, students who graduated in a European country will be asked to provide the Diploma Supplement. If this is not available, students will be asked to provide the translation of their academic degree, along with the "dichiarazione di valore in loco", a declaration of equal value of the degree, issued by the Italian Embassy. This document declares that your degree allows you to be admitted to a PhD program in the country where you obtained the diploma.
- Is there any age limit for taking part in the selection?
There is no age limit; nevertheless the program is tailored on young graduates training needs.
- I will receive my degree in the next weeks/months. May I apply as well?
You can apply even if you don't have the degree yet, provided that you take the degree by 31 October.
- When is the selection called?
The selection is called every year in July, the deadline for submission is September and the examination for admission is in October.
- How can I submit my application?
At the time of the application, an online system will be available, where you will be asked to register and then to fill out the application form.
Along with the application form, 2 reference letters are required.
- How can I provide the reference letters?
The reference letters must be submitted through an online system by the referees themselves: during the application process, you are required to provide the email address of your referees (upon their approval), who will then receive an automatic email with the instructions for the reference submission.
- SEMM offers 5 PhD programs. May I apply to more than one?
No, each applicant can submit the application for one PhD program only; second applications will be automatically discarded.
- How does the pre-selection take place?
After the deadline, the Examination Board pre-selects a restricted number of candidates, based on the information provided in the application form and in the reference letters.
Pre-selected candidates will be invited to the School sites (Milan or Naples) for the selection process.
- How does the selection take place?
The 5 programs have slightly different selection procedures. The details are contained in the "Selection" page of each program.
- Are interviews with group leaders foreseen?
Yes, during the selection days, interviews with group leaders will be scheduled, based on candidates' and group leaders' indications.
- Is it possible to hold a Skype examination?
No Skype examinations are foreseen for our PhD programs.
- Is there any template of the application form?
On the website a template of the application form is available at the time of the call.
- I am a German-speaking student. Must I know Italian to take part in the selection?
The official language of the School is English. Therefore, the exams and the courses are held in English.
- When does the program start?
The program starts in November of each year.
If you don't find an answer to your question, please submit it to phd